Strategic Technical and Engineering Alliances
- Mustang Engineering, LP: Gevo has entered into an engineering and consulting agreement to convert Gevo’s renewable isobutanol to bio-jet fuel focused on the downstream processing of isobutanol to kerosene (jet fuel) for jet engine testing, airline suitability flights and advancing commercial deployment.
- ICM, Inc.: Since 1995, ICM has focused on sustaining agriculture through innovation by engineering, building, and supporting the renewable fuel industry’s leading biorefineries and has designed approximately 60% of all current North American ethanol production capacity. Through Gevo’s exclusive alliance with ICM, we have successfully demonstrated the production of isobutanol via the retrofit of a one MGPY ethanol demonstration facility in St. Joseph, Missouri using our first-generation bacterial biocatalyst. We plan to work with ICM to deploy our technology platform through retrofit of these production facilities in North America.
- Cargill: Cargill is an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. Cargill has granted Gevo exclusive rights to integrate Cargill’s world class microorganisms into its GIFT® process for the production of butanols from cellulosic sugars that are derived from biomass such as corn stover, switchgrass, forest residues and other sustainable feedstocks.
Gevo is developing a customer list of global players and is expecting to convert non-binding agreements into firm supply agreements as it ramps up its production capacity in 2012 and beyond. Here is a representative sample:
- Synthetic Rubber: Gevo has signed an exclusive supply agreement that grants Gevo an exclusive first right to supply LANXESS and its affiliates with biobased isobutanol during an initial ten year term. To learn more, click here.
- Gasoline Blendstock: Total has signed a non-binding letter of intent to purchase isobutanol for use as a second-generation biofuel.
- Solvents: Sasol has signed an International Off-Take and Distribution Agreement to purchase isobutanol for sale and distribution to its global customer base.
- Materials, Plastics and Fibers: Toray has signed a non-binding letter of interest related to the future supply of isobutanol for the production of para-xylene for the production of plastics and other performance materials.
- Biojet Gevo is working closely with the Air Transport Association of America, the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force and other companies in a strategic effort to develop the biojet industry. A non-binding letter of intent has been signed with United Air Lines to supply their hub airport in Chicago at O’Hare International Airport starting in 2013.